Ok so it’s finally Friday and it’s my first Friday night of no work in a few weeks. It’s also the first Friday that LSU students are back in town from being off on Winter Break. What does that mean for me? Oh it most definitely means sweatpants and Dexter with Miss Oakley all night after I go get my Friday workout in.
Back to Five on Friday. It’s been kind of an uneventful week so bear with me.
(1) I’ve basically given up carbs. At least through January. I know this sounds CRAZY but it’s not as bad as it sounds. Lots of veggies and water and you’re set to jet. This isn’t just some random spontaneous thing I’m doing. Rather, it coincides with my Advocare 24-day Challenge (which by the way is going decent) and Paleo challenge. This was pre-carb detox. Three days of food and snacks.
(2) I’m obsessed with ZZ Ward. I have no idea why it’s taken me so long to start listening to her but this one song just does it for me. Windows down, sunroof open and the volume up. That’s how I plan on leaving work today.
(3) Everyone fails at something. And it’s not a one time event. A lot of people fail at different things at different points of their life. Last night, I failed at a snatch. Granted, I haven’t done too many of them in my life, but I wanted to keep 65lbs on the bar for yesterday’s insane “Open Test” WOD. Well, I couldn’t. I completely failed and thankfully only 2-3 people at the gym saw it happen. I was mortified. After getting through all the movements before having to touch the bar, I realized I couldn’t even do 65lbs so I knocked it down to 55lbs for the cleans and jerks. Snatches? Moved it down again to 45lbs. I’m kind of happy I didn’t push myself yesterday because my back is telling me today would have been a lot worse on the sore-o-meter.
(4) I have the coolest friends ever. First off, I can tell over the past few months (since starting Crossfit) that my attitude has changed. I’ve definitely changed as a person. While some of my ‘friends’ make fun of Crossfit, others are incredibly supportive. And they don’t even lift! They understand what Crossfit has done for me and support me for that. In one particular group of friends I’ve garnered the nickname of “Wonder Woman”. Yeah, I know. At first I was like, seriously? I don’t even look like her. Then I realized that it wasn’t all about looks but strength rather. And I kind of liked it. Well, in this group of friends I mentioned that I needed a new journal for the new year to keep track of my WODs, weights and skill work. Guess what showed up the next day. If you guessed a Wonder Woman journal, you’re right.
(5) Some of my favorite TV shows are back for the spring. I don’t have cable and rely on an antenna and Hulu+ to watch them, and I don’t consider myself THAT much of a couch potato (well, except at night) but I’m kind of excited. So far Parenthood, Chicago Fire, Chicago PD, Nashville, New Girl and Modern Family have been pretty epic. I cannot WAIT for Grey’s Anatomy to be back in February. Prepare yourself for a gif overload.
Enjoy yourself this weekend, but don’t go too crazy!
Peace out y’all!